Tuesday, February 9, 2010

First race of 2010


Man it feels good to be back out racing. All it takes is one race and my motivation almost doubles. This sunday I competed in the BRRC partners in pain 5k. My plan for the race was to just run hard. The gun went off and I ran as hard as i could for as long as I could (kind of an elementary school of thought). The first mile was 4:48 and shortly after the mile Chad Portwood took over and took charge of the race. Surprisingly the race felt very smooth and relaxed. My time was 15:35. I am very happy with that time, especially since it is still the off season. Last year I ran 16:00 at this same race, so to be 25 seconds faster gave confidence in my training a major boost.

Up next is the is the USA XC National championships. This Saturday Spokane is hosting the USA National cross country championships. I honestly could not pass up the opportunity to race top level athletes in my home town. I should probably rephrase that and say race on the same course as the top US athletes. Since the race is a 12k cross country race, my goal for the day is to pace myself taking the first portion easy and build the rest of the race. So if you are in Spokane this coming weekend (2/13/2010) come out to Plantes Ferry and check the race out.

2 comments:

Matt said...

great PR Josh, way to lay it down! Stoked to come out and watch next week, keep up all that volume/hard work and you will be knocking down PRs quickly in '10!

Excited to see what else this year brings for you.

Spokane Al said...

Way to go Josh - you rock!

And I am glad to see that you brought out your summer racing attire for the event.